Thursday, December 08, 2005

In the begining........

I had a few ideas, a desire to draw, and a stack of pristine, white, blank, drawing paper. Soon, I had too many ideas, few leads to sell them to, and not enough drawings done. I will never rival Picasso, Monet, etc., and I will not try. What I enjoy doing are gag cartoons. Simple, to the point, one frame drawings. The tough ones where you have to make the drawing work with the punchline in one shot. Hence, the title "Ramblings of a Mad Cartoonist". To endure the stress, countless mistakes, redraws, rewrites, and turn downs,....."I must truly be mad" (or some kind of masochist ?).

I know that I will use this blog to hear myself think, criticize myself, and rarely praise myself. I'm rarely 100% pleased with anything that I draw. I always look at it thinking that I could have done better. It makes things tough, espescially when the client on the other end of the phone is saying," It's perfect !" Enough rambling for today. Pneumonia has me laid up, can't really draw well, and the thought proceess is a bit fuddled. The down time is good to organize the ideas & rough sketches. Most importantly, I've got time to layout the design for the drawing table. Imagine that, a real place to work, not the postage stamp sized area on the desk !
Enough for now.

1 Comments:

Blogger MP said...

From one Capricorn to another: I understand exactly how you feel. I'm never fully satisfied with my creations or works or trials.
Damn stars.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home